The beautiful area around Castelnau des Fieumarcon is known as the Tuscany of France. With its rolling countryside, fields of sunflowers, quiet roads and peaceful moments it is an ideal destination for enjoying unspoiled countryside and relaxing away from the tourist crowds.
Food & drink
Well known for its gastronomy, Armagnac and wines, the region represents a perfect tasting ground for the most discerning palates. It is renowned for its cuisine of foie gras, confit de canard, cheeses and armagnac.
For those interested in this haven of gastronomy, here's an interesting article on what you can expect:
As you would expect there are plenty of fine restaurants in the area. We'll be updating with our personal favourites when we visit in June to make preparations for the wedding.
Armagnac tours are available in the area and the following are seen as the best experiences:
- Baron de Sigognac/Château Bordeneuve, Castelnau d'Auzan (0033 5 6229 2649, www.sigognac.com). Free, but phone ahead.
- Château Busca-Maniban, Mansencôme, near Condom (0033 5 6228 4038, www.buscamaniban.com). Mon-Sat
- Château de Millet, avenue de Parleboscq, Eauze (0033 5 6209 8791, www.chateaudemillet.com).
For great local wine and Armagnac tasting option try:
- Domaine D'Arton, Lecoure ( 0033 (0)6 14 29 60 76, 0033 (0)5 62 68 84 33, www.arton.fr). Mon-Sat, Sunday on request.
Here's an excellent guide to Armagnac:
The nearest village is picturesque Lectoure, which has a supermarket and rumour has it, the sweetest melons in the whole of France! For those arriving early the market is on Friday morning.
Nearby Montreal-du-Gers, Fources and Larressingle have made the official list of 'the most beautiful villages in France'.
'Le marché' is an integral part to the French lifestyle and the area has some quintessential French markets. Browse and stock up on your baguettes and fromage at the following:
- Monday: Mauvezin, Mirande, Aignan, Samatan
- Tuesday: Fleurance,Auch, Masseube
- Wednesday: Condom, Nogaro, Gimont, Marciac
- Thursday: St Clar, Auch, Eauze,
- Friday: Lectoure, Vic-Fezensac, Seissan
- Saturday: Fleurance, Samatan, Auch, L’Isle Jourdain,
- Sunday: Condom, Bassoues, Montaut-les-Creneaux, Caster-Verduzan
- Toulouse has several daily markets and Sunday flea markets
Gascony is a cyclists dream - sunshine, quiet roads, rolling hills, and spectacular scenery. Plus there are plenty of picturesque villages to stop off at for drinks and food.
In the two weeks leading up to the wedding the area is home to a world-renowned jazz festival. This takes place in in the magnificent 13th Century bastide town of Marciac.